Skip to main content

Tenant Insurance

a woman holding keys and a man holding a box

Get a free no-obligation tenant insurance estimate

find your closest agency

Tenant insurance for renters

Property coverage designed for renters

Moving to a new home can be one of the most stressful life events Canadians experience. While Allstate can’t help to pack your possessions, we are on hand to help you protect them. Contact an Allstate agent to get a free tenant insurance quote today.

What is tenant insurance?
Tenant insurance, also known as renters insurance, is protection for you and your possessions whether you rent a house, apartment or condominium. While your landlord’s insurance policy will cover the building, it won’t necessarily cover the contents. That’s where tenant insurance comes in. Tenant insurance can help cover the cost of replacing your belongings if it’s unexpectedly damaged or stolen in a covered situation, such as fire, theft or a natural disaster.
Why do tenants need insurance?

As a tenant, you don’t own your home, but you own almost everything in it. You’ve invested time and money into making it your own home sweet home. If the unexpected happens, replacing everything without insurance could set you back thousands of dollars. Could you afford to be without it?

Most landlords’ insurance policies don’t cover personal items owned by tenants if the property is destroyed or unintentionally damaged. So, it’s important to have peace of mind with your own rental insurance policy to cover your treasured items.

What does tenant insurance cover?
Tenant insurance policy coverage
  • Personal property (contents)

    Contents insurance for renters provides coverage for your personal belongings. Without the right tenant insurance, if an item is stolen, damaged or lost, you’ll find yourself out of pocket to replace them.

    Should you need to make an insurance claim, you will need to remember not only everything you own but also how much it cost.

  • Additional living expenses

    If an insured peril makes your dwelling unfit to live in, or you have to move out while repairs are being made, Allstate will cover any increase in living expenses, including moving costs. Payment will be made to cover the reasonable length of time you are out of your apartment while repairs or rebuilding is being carried out or, if you have to permanently relocate to settle your household elsewhere.

  • Tenant liability Insurance

    Allstate’s tenant insurance policy provides third-party liability coverage when someone not living with you is injured while on your property (e.g. a fall or trip). It covers legal and medical bills if you are found at fault.

Renters insurance optional extras
  • Earthquake damage

    Covers you for any direct loss to your property caused by an earthquake.

  • Personal articles coverage

    Insures specific items like jewelry, bicycles, cameras and golf equipment that commonly exceed contents coverage limits.

  • Water protection coverage

    Water damage is a leading threat to homeowners, condominium dwellers, and tenants of rental properties. Threats to your home and property can come from burst pipes, leaking appliances, storm waters, spring thaw, accumulated rain, and other types of fresh water flooding. You can choose additional coverage with Allstate's NEW water protection endorsements to ensure you have the right coverage to suit your needs (for qualifying customers):

  • Limited sewer backup (ON, AB, Maritimes)
  • Enhanced water damage (ON, AB, Maritimes)
  • Ground water and sewers (Quebec only)
  • Ground water, sewers and overflow of body of water (Quebec only)
a blurred white car and a person holding a phone

Making life's not so easy moments easier

If you need to make a claim, Allstate has a highly experienced claims team available 24/7 to guide you through the process.

Get a quote in just minutes
Bundle your home and auto to save

access myAllstate

Get the mobile app
Google Play StoreApple App Store