10 Fun Indoor Activities to do When Winter Strikes
The weather outside is frightful, leaving your family dreaming of beaches and sandcastles. Instead of feeling trapped indoors, get creative, bond and make the most of it! Here are 10 indoor activities to get you started:
- Make some noise. Grab some instruments and play your favourite tunes. If you don’t have instruments, make your own (e.g. canisters filled with rice to use as shakers, boxes of varying sizes used as makeshift drums).
- Read all about it. Read your favourite books out loud and have family members take turns reading.
- Get nostalgic. Dust off those old photo albums and share memories and milestones.
- Bake cookies. Whether you use ready-made dough or you tackle it from scratch, your family will enjoy baking (and eating!) cookies and your house will smell divine!
- Write a poem or story. Each family member chooses a topic and writes a short poem or story, getting as creative as possible. Vote for your favourite!
- Channel your inner Picasso. Bring out the pencil crayons, paints and paper. Draw portraits of each other or create a family crest.
- Organize the clutter. You know those closets and storage bins you’ve been meaning to get to? Use the time to divide up chores as a family. Turn it into a game and see who finishes first.
- Get your game on. Board games can offer hours of challenges, creativity and fun.
- Think about summer. Have each family member write down a list of things they want to do when summer arrives. Post it on the fridge as a reminder of brighter days ahead!
- Guess the movie. Take turns choosing a movie. Each family member gets five or six guesses based on questions about: characters, genre, plot, etc. Then the winner gets to choose their favourite movie to watch.
Bundle up, get creative and bond. Those blustery wintery days won’t seem so bad after all!