You can click the topics below to go directly to sections of interest:
- Terms used in this Policy
- How we collect Personal Information
- Types of Personal Information we collect
- How we use Personal Information
- Cookies and other technologies
- How we disclose Personal Information
- How we protect, store and destroy Personal Information
- Your privacy choices
- Access and correction requests
- Requests to withdraw consent
- Other privacy questions or concern
- Social media, links and external sites
1. Terms used in this Policy
Here are some explanations of terms we use in this Policy:
- “Personal Information” is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked (directly or indirectly) with you.
- “Use” of Personal Information means how Allstate processes or handles information internally or via our service providers who act on our behalf.
- “Disclosure” of Personal Information means how Allstate shares information with third parties who do not act on our behalf.
- “You” means you directly, whether you are a customer, applicant, website visitor or otherwise interacting directly with Allstate, or when another person provides us with your information.
2. How we collect Personal Information
The type and amount of Personal Information we collect depends on various factors, such as the type of products you apply for and buy, the services you have access to and use and the way you communicate with us. We collect personal information about you in a number of ways from several sources, including:
i) Information you give to us.
• We collect Personal Information directly from you, either in person, over the telephone, via email, through an Allstate website, or through the use of an Allstate app.
• We may record calls, online chats and other communications between us to ensure quality customer service, confirm our discussions and your instructions, resolve complaints, and train our staff. If you do not want your communications recorded, you can do business with us by visiting one of our offices, or by writing or emailing us.
ii) From third parties. Allstate may collect Personal Information from service providers and other third parties, including:
• Industry data banks
• Third party websites where you have entered your Personal Information for the purpose of receiving an insurance quote or marketing materials
• Credit reporting agencies
• Property inspectors
• Healthcare providers
• Information technology support providers
• Claims support, handling and investigation services
iii) From government bodies and law enforcement. If you apply for insurance with Allstate, we may also collect Personal Information for verification and investigation purposes from government bodies and law enforcement services. Personal Information we collect from these sources may include: motor vehicle records; driving history records; vehicle ownership records; records regarding the identity and existence of lienholders, leaseholders, and mortgage holders; motor vehicle accident records; provincial health insurance billing records; and witness statements.
iv) Information we observe. When you interact with us, we may observe and record certain Personal Information through technology. This includes:
a) Cookies, web beacons, and other Site technologies. We and service providers working on our behalf collect IP address, device ID, browsing history and other internet and web browsing information when you use our websites, mobile apps, view our emails or otherwise engage with us through a computer or mobile device (“Sites”).
b) Video Surveillance. For the safety of the public, Allstate customers, and Allstate employees, our premises may be outfitted with video surveillance systems. Video surveillance is collected strictly for security purposes and will not be disclosed to Third Parties unless required by law except in efforts to prevent fraud.
3. Types of Personal Information we collect
The personal information we collect, and process, may include:
• Identifying Information – your name, gender, age, date of birth, marital status, driver’s licence information, preferred language and copies of your identification
• Contact Information - email address, mailing address, telephone number
• Service or product related information - policy coverage information, premiums, account name, policy number, payment history, claims history, records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, account log-in, family member information
• Financial information – bank account number, credit or debit card number, credit information, other payment or financial information
• Health information – health insurance information, medical history
• Information about your residence - like square footage or mortgage holder information
• Information about your vehicle - such as Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), prior accidents/highway traffic violations, driving record
• Geolocation data - like physical location or address if you have enrolled in our Drivewise™, My_Bridge™ or other similar programs.
• Telematics data – location, vehicle speed, distance travelled, time of day travelled, time zone, acceleration and deceleration rates
• Images and recordings – photos, videos and voice recordings of you where it is relevant to the investigation of an insurance claim or suspected fraud
• Information about your interests - purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies, data related to your use of our products and services (including feedback)
• Online activity information – Browsing history, search history, information regarding your interaction with our Sites or ads, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), cookies, and mobile device information including device identifier or other information.
4. How we use Personal Information
We use your personal and other information to operate our business, provide and develop our products and services, engage with you, communicate within the group of companies defined as Allstate, communicate with brokers, manage our risks, and comply with legal requirements. This includes to:
i) Provide products and services.
(a) We may use your personal information to:
• Evaluate your coverage needs
• Assess risk and underwrite insurance risks
• Verify your identity
• Verify the ownership of real and personal property
• Provide a quote for insurance to you
• Send policy documents, renewal offers, policy change information, and any other administrative documentation regarding your policy or policies
• Process payment for your insurance policy or policies
• Communicate with you, solicit feedback regarding our products and services, and to respond to your inquiries
• Adjust and investigate claims, including the co-ordination of medical assessments and review of health records
• Settle claims
• If you have installed the Drivewise® or My_Bridge™ app on your phone, support the app’s features and populate your vehicle trip information for the purpose of calculating the amount of the Drivewise® or My_Bridge™ discount.
(b) We may also collect information about other parties from you to carry out necessary services and/or requests, including adding another driver to your existing policy. If you provide us personal information about others, or if others give us your personal information, we will only use the information for the specific reason for which it was provided to us.
ii) Improve, develop and analyze our business. We use your personal information and other information to:
• analyze, improve, develop or deliver our Sites, products, services features, contests and events;
• conduct actuarial or research studies to maintain, protect and develop our networks, services, and products and protect our customers
• enhance and personalize your experience.
We collect some information used for these purposes using analytics software, cookies and other tracking technologies. For more information about the collection and use of this information, see Cookies and Other Technologies below.
iii) Communicate with you. We may communicate with you about your product, service, account, policy or membership, provide you transaction confirmations, payment alerts or other service or product related messages via mail, email or other available methods such as push notifications.
iv) Market to you. We may:
• send you promotional communications about products, services, features, offers, events and contests offered by Allstate or companies with whom Allstate maintains business relationships.
• send communications via email, regular mail or other available methods such as push notifications via a mobile device. We may also use your information to serve you ads or customized content online.
• collaborate with strategic business partners to market insurance related products and services.
v) Comply with legal requirements and protect the safety and security of our business, services, and Sites. We may use your personal information to:
• comply with laws, regulations or other legal obligations
• assist in an investigation
• protect and defend our rights and property or the rights of third parties or enforce terms and conditions
• detect, prevent and suppress fraud, and other illegal activities
• prevent misuse or for any other reason permitted by law
• protect our company, our affiliates, our customers, our network and our Sites
• to provide secure premises for our customers, employees, and the public.
Our Service Providers
We rely on third party service providers to support our business operations and fulfill the purposes set out above. We use service providers to:
• Deliver and improve our products and services
• Process insurance applications
• Support the operation of our Sites
• Store and protect our data
• Obtain advice from third party advisers, such as lawyers and accountants
• Conduct surveys, studies and data analytics
• Process payments
• Market our products and services, including through contests, online advertising, and other communications
• Meet compliance and legal requirements
• Process, assess and investigate claims
5. Cookies and other technologies
When you visit our Sites, we and our service providers may automatically collect information about your use of and access to these Sites, where permitted by law. We collect this information through a variety of tracking technologies, including cookies, Flash objects, web beacons (also called pixels or pixel tags), embedded scripts, and location-identifying technologies (collectively, “Site technologies”). Information we collect automatically about you may be combined with other personal information we collect directly.
In addition to the device, app usage and browsing information described above, Site technologies allow us to collect analytics information, such as the demographics and behaviors of our users, and aggregated usage, and performance data. We use this information to provide you with an improved, enhanced and personalized customer experience, to monitor and improve our Sites and to:
• Remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Sites
• Provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted content, communications and advertising
• Identify and contact you across multiple devices (so-called cross-tracking)
• Provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Sites
• Perform analytics and detect usage patterns on our Sites
• Diagnose or fix technology problems
• Detect or prevent fraud or other harmful activities
• Otherwise to plan for and enhance our Sites
Our service providers include Adobe and Google. To learn about Adobe Analytics privacy practices or to opt-out of cookies set to facilitate reporting, click here. To learn more about how Google uses data when you visit websites using Google Analytics, click here. You can deactivate the Google Analytics function with a browser add-on, which you can download here.
Your choices regarding cookies:
To manage your choices on our Site or if you prefer not to accept cookies, click here:
You can also change your browser settings to disable or block cookies, remove existing cookies, automatically accept cookies or to notify you when you receive a cookie. However, if you disable, modify, or reject cookies, some parts or functionalities of our Site may be inaccessible or not function properly.
To limit interest-based advertising based on Site technologies, visit youradchoices.ca. You may continue to see generic or non-targeted ads about our products and services if you opt out of interest-based advertising.
6. How we disclose Personal Information
We do not sell Personal Information to third parties.
We may disclose some of your Personal Information to third parties for business purposes or as required or permitted by law, including with:
o Other insurance companies
o Consumer reporting agencies
o Insurance industry databanks
o Vehicle history databanks
o Government bodies
o Educational and research institutions
o Benefit providers, contractors, and repair services
o Healthcare professionals and assessment facilities
o Law enforcement agencies and/or bodies
o Select businesses with which Allstate maintains relationships or with whom Allstate has marketing agreements
Where we are permitted or required by law to disclose Personal Information to third parties, we provide only the minimum amount of Personal Information required to meet the objective or requirement.
7. How we protect, store and destroy Personal Information
Allstate uses technical, physical and procedural security measures to protect Personal Information under our control. We have policies and procedures that address how we protect Personal Information, how we investigate and respond to security threats, and how we anonymize or destroy Personal Information when we no longer need it. We require our service providers to do the same. The following are some examples of what we do to protect Personal Information:
· Electronic devices, including computers and mobile devices, are password protected and passwords must be changed on a regular basis
· Before entering into agreements with service providers, Allstate evaluates whether security standards and data handling procedures satisfy its requirements
· Allstate requires service providers that it contracts to enter into confidentiality agreements and/or agreements which have clauses concerning confidential information
· Security audits are conducted on information technology systems on a regular basis
We may be required to keep Personal Information after the end of our relationship, to meet business and legal requirements. Once we are no longer required to keep it, we will securely destroy Personal Information.
We and our service providers may use and store Personal Information outside of your home province or territory. This means that, just like in Canada, we may be required by law to disclose your information to local governmental or law enforcement bodies. We have procedures to protect Personal Information to the same standard required by Canadian laws no matter where it is located.
8. Your privacy choices
You can ask to access or correct your Personal Information. You can ask to withdraw your consent to Allstate’s use and disclosure of your Personal Information. You can also ask questions about our privacy practices or contact us about a complaint.
i) Access and correction requests
Where applicable, your insurance coverage, policy documents, billing and other relevant information can be conveniently accessed online through myAllstate or the Allstate app. You may also submit a written request to access or correct your Personal Information by contacting the Privacy Office via email or mail.
To avoid delays in obtaining your information, please provide sufficient detail to permit us to verify your identity and the specific information that you are requesting:
• We will need you to verify your identity before searching for, or providing you with, access to your information; and
• We may also ask you for additional information to confirm the scope of your request, such as the relevant time period or a specific description of the information you are seeking to access.
Please note that there may be instances where access may be restricted as permitted or required by law; for example, if the information is subject to legal privilege, contains confidential commercial information, relates to an investigation of a breach of an agreement or law, or contains information about other another individual that cannot be separated. We will advise you of the reasons for restricting access subject to any legal or regulatory limitations.
If you ask to correct your Personal Information, and Allstate does not agree with the request – such as where our sources do not align with the requested change – we will explain this and keep a record that you made the request.
ii) Requests to withdraw consent
You may, at any time, submit a request to withdraw consent to the collection, use, disclosure or storage of your Personal Information. Send your request by email or mail to our Privacy Office .
In some cases, we can comply with the request without any impact on our relationship, such as where you want to opt out of marketing. To quickly and easily unsubscribe from future marketing emails, you can also click on this link.
In other cases, we cannot comply with the request without stopping or changing our relationship. For example, if you ask to withdraw your consent to our collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information on your application, Allstate will not be able to offer you an insurance policy.
In still other cases, we cannot comply with the request at all, because we are required for legal or business purposes to handle your Personal Information. For example, insurance laws require you to provide certain Personal Information to your insurer if you make a claim under your policy, and require us to keep that information for a set amount of time.
In all cases, we will explain the reasons why we are not able to comply with your request, or the impact it will have on your product or service. For example, if you withdraw consent to the disclosure of Personal Information after our relationship ends, you may experience inconsistency in your premium with future insurers because we will be unable to verify your previous Allstate policy and/or claim history.
iii) Other privacy questions or concerns
Allstate’s Chief Privacy Officer is responsible for our policies, procedures and practices relating to Personal Information. If you have a privacy question or concern, please contact the Privacy Office at:
Privacy Office, 27 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100, Markham, ON L3R 5P8
Telephone: 1-855-877-4080 (Toll Free)
Email: Allstate Insurance Company of Canada: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pembridge Insurance Company: email@example.com
Pafco Insurance Company: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ivantage Insurance Brokers Inc.: email@example.com
9. Social media, links and external sites
Effective: September 20, 2023