Seasonal Insurance

Coverage for your seasonal property

Whether you have a cottage, a log cabin or a lake house, your second home is a place where you and your family can relax. You’ve spent a lot of time making it the perfect home-away-from-home. Let Allstate help you get the right seasonal property insurance coverage you need for your vacation property.


Find closest Allstate agency - Opens in a new Window
Get a free no-obligation home insurance estimate
Call 1-800-ALLSTATE (1-800-255-7828)

What is seasonal home insurance?

Seasonal insurance protects your secondary or vacation home. It provides coverage for your recreational property separately from your primary homeowners insurance, so you can protect your holiday home, buildings and its contents.


What does seasonal home insurance cover?

Seasonal insurance coverage can be different from your standard home insurance policy. To insure your vacation retreat, you can choose between a Basic Homeowner Policy or a Residential Fire Policy* depending on your coverage needs.

A Basic Homeowner policy, which includes buildings and contents cover, is generally purchased when higher insurance limits are needed. Whereas a Residential Fire Policy offers Dwelling and Liability coverage.

Whether you own a cottage or a cabin, contact an Allstate agent today to ensure your vacation home has the right coverage for you.


Basic seasonal house policy coverage*

Dwelling Protection

A basic characteristic of your seasonal home insurance policy is dwelling protection. This covers the home, as well as other structures that are attached to it, such as a garage or a deck. Keep in mind that this is restricted to named perils only.

Personal Property (Contents)

Personal property located in the seasonal residency are covered. However, contents insurance coverage is restricted to losses sustained as a result of a named peril (e.g. fire, wind or smoke).

Additional Living Expenses

If you need to move out of your cabin while repairs are being made, or if an insured peril makes your dwelling unfit for occupancy, Allstate will cover the cost of increases in living expenses, like moving or lodging expenses. Payment will be made for your relocation and during the reasonable time it takes to repair the dwelling.

Liability Coverage

This is an extension from your home, tenant or condo policy. You are protected if you are held liable for injury and death to someone on your property


Your basic seasonal property policy would cover perils such as water damage and escape, fire, vandalism, falling objects, glass, and theft.


Residential fire policy coverage

Dwelling Protection

One of the characteristics of your residential fire policy is dwelling protection. This covers the vacation home, as well as other structures that are attached to it, such as a garage or a deck. However, this is restricted to named perils only. 

Detached Private Structures

Your residential fire policy coverage also extends to other structures that are on your seasonal property but are separate from your home, like a detached garage, tool shed or fence. This coverage is also restricted to named perils only.

Liability Coverage

You are protected if you are held liable for injury or death to someone on your property. This coverage is an extension of your existing tenant, home or condo policy.



10 questions to ask before choosing a cottage insurance policy

Cottage Life: A Checklist for Closing Up for Winter

Getting your summer home ready for summer fun


Terms and conditions apply. Coverage, perils, discounts, and availability may vary by region.
* Applies in AB, ON, NS, and NB. QC requires a secondary homeowner policy. 
This contains information about coverage offered by Allstate but does not list all of the conditions and exclusions which apply to the coverage described. The wording of the actual policy and local law will govern. For more information on coverage, perils, discounts and availability, please contact your local agency or 1-800-allstate.