Tenant Insurance for Renters

Property coverage designed for renters

Find closest Allstate agency - Opens in a new Window
Get a free no-obligation home insurance estimate
Call 1-800-ALLSTATE (1-800-255-7828)

Why tenants need to be insured

As a tenant or apartment renter, you don’t own your home, but you own almost everything in it. You’ve invested time and money into outfitting it to make it your own home sweet home. If the unexpected happens, replacing everything without insurance could set you back thousands of dollars. Could you afford to be without it?

Most landlords’ insurance policies don’t cover personal items owned by tenants if the property is destroyed or unintentionally damaged. So, it’s important to have peace of mind with your own rental insurance policy to cover your treasured items.


Tenant Insurance Policy Coverage

Personal Property (contents)

Tenant insurance provides coverage for your personal belongings if they're stolen, damaged or lost. Need help keeping a home inventory? Try our FREE online tool, myLocker which is exclusive to existing myAllstate customers.

Additional Living Expenses

If an insured peril makes your dwelling unfit to live in, or you have to move out while repairs are being made, Allstate will cover any increase in living expenses, including moving costs. Payment will be made for a reasonable length of time to repair the dwelling or relocate.

Tenant Liability Insurance

Allstate’s tenant insurance policy provides liability coverage when someone not living with you is injured while on your property (e.g. a fall or trip). It covers legal and medical bills if you are found at fault.


Renters Insurance Optional Extras

Earthquake Damage

Covers you for any direct loss to your property caused by an earthquake.

Personal Articles Coverage

Insures specific items like jewelry, bicycles, cameras and golf equipment that commonly exceed contents coverage limits.

Water Protection Coverage

Water damage is a leading threat to homeowners, condominium dwellers, and tenants of rental properties. Threats to your home and property can come from burst pipes, leaking appliances, storm waters, spring thaw, accumulated rain, and other types of fresh water flooding. You can choose additional coverage with Allstate’s NEW water protection endorsements to ensure you have the right coverage to suit your needs (for qualifying customers):

Limited Sewer Backup (ON, AB, Maritimes)
Enhanced Water Damage (ON, AB, Maritimes)
• Ground Water and Sewers (Quebec only)
Ground Water, Sewers and Overflow of Body of Water (Quebec only)

Home Business Coverage

If your business qualifies for home business coverage, you can purchase a home business endorsement which will cover loss or damage to your business property, business income losses, money and securities, and liability coverage.

Property in a Storage Facility

This protects contents which are stored in a monitored and secured storage facility on your property. This coverage can be extended for up to 12 months.

Get additional info about tenant insurance and more.



Terms and conditions apply. Coverage, perils, discounts, and availability may vary by region. This contains information about coverage offered by Allstate but does not list all of the conditions and exclusions which apply to the coverage described. The wording of the actual policy and local law will govern. For more information on coverage, perils, discounts and availability, please contact your local agency or 1-800-allstate.