Manage and pay your home insurance anywhere, anytime, with online.myallstateapp
Be able to view and update all of your policy details in one convenient place. With the myAllstate app, you will be able to pay your bills or make changes to your coverages, limits and deductibles online.
A dedicated team
You’re in Good Hands with Allstate®. Our dedicated local insurance agents are here to help you with any questions you have.
Excellent claims service
We’ll give you quality claims service and personalized attention. We’re ready to answer any questions you have about the claims process. You can contact our claims team 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
There’s no place like home. It’s a place of comfort and the centre of your family life. It’s where you keep the things you treasure. That’s why your home and property need the best protection. Your local Allstate agent is here to help find the coverage you need from the many types of house insurance policies in the market.
We offer these types of property insurance policies
Allstate agents understand how hard you’ve worked to make your house a home. That’s why you deserve a home insurance policy as unique as your lifestyle. At Allstate, we tailor each policy to each homeowner’s insurance needs. Our agents will work with you to make sure you get the best protection for you and your property. Contact us today to get a free online home insurance quote.
Coverage for your dwelling
This covers your home as well as structures that are attached to it, such as a deck or garage.
Detached private structures
The typical home insurance policy also covers structures that are separate from your home, but are still on your property, like a detached garage, tool shed or fence.
Home insurance policies provide liability coverage to protect you if someone not living with you is injured while on your property.
House insurance provides coverage for your valuable personal belongings in your home. If your household appliances and treasured possessions are stolen, damaged or lost, you’ll be covered.
Additional features & benefits - insurance that works for you
Your choice home®
Personal articles floater
Home business endorsement
Home replacement cost guarantee
Single limit of insurance
Climate mitigation solutions
Allstate knows weather-related incidents are on the rise, so we’ve enhanced your home insurance policy with the liability coverage (at no cost) to protect your home against weather events:
- Superior Roofing Benefit
- If you have a roof made of metal, rubber/neoprene and/or tile, you may be eligible for additional discounts.
- Deductible Waiver
- If your roof is classified as a Superior Roofing Type† , your deductible will be waived (up to $1,000) for weather-related losses.†
- Roof & Siding Upgrade Coverage
- Customers who upgrade to Superior roofing or siding materials at the time of a weather-related loss, are eligible to receive up to $2500 to help offset the cost of the upgrades.††
This option provides extra coverage for your favourite pastimes. Find out about our Golf Package, Ski & Snowboard Package, and more. We even offer Identity Theft & Legal Expense Coverage and coverage for students living away from home. You can buy these options with Allstate’s Your Choice Home®, condo or tenant insurance (one personalized option is free with a VIP Package).
Learn more about Allstate’s Personalized feature.
Buying a house is one of life’s biggest expenses but insuring your home shouldn’t have to be. Allstate understands how hard it is to find the right home insurance provider. Allstate is the insurance company that has your back by providing affordable home insurance.
How to save on home insurance:
Reduce the cost of your house insurance premium with a variety of discounts and saving opportunities with Allstate. If combining home and auto insurance, you could benefit from Allstate’s multi-policy discount. You may qualify for a homeowners insurance discount if you have installed home security systems or fire alarms. For more information, check out our discount page or contact an Allstate agent to see if you are eligible.
Tailor your insurance coverage with Allstate
Allstate offers three Your Choice Home packages that provide different levels of coverage:
We all have our passions. It could be a round of golf, hitting the slopes, or fishing. Whether you golf, fish, garden or you are a college student, Allstate provides additional coverage for your best-loved pastimes. You can buy these insurance options together with Allstate’s Your Choice Home®, condo or tenant insurance (one free with the VIP package).
Golf insurance package
- Additional coverage for loss or damage to golf clubs, accessories and golf carts
- Reimbursement of prepaid club membership fees, if ill or injured
- Rental fees for temporary replacement of golf equipment and golf carts
- Reimbursement of costs for “hole-in-one” celebrations
- Additional coverage for loss or damage to hunting and fishing equipment
- Additional coverage for loss or damage to windsurfers, sailboards and watercrafts including trailers, furnishings, equipment and outboard motors.
- Reimbursement of prepaid club memberships and licence fees if ill or injured
- Rental fees for temporary replacement of hunting and fishing equipment
- Covers expenses associated with identity theft or covered disputes
- Toll-free legal assistance hotline available for legal questions
- Additional coverage for loss or damage to winter ski and snowboard equipment
- Reimbursement of prepaid club membership fees, if ill or injured
- Temporary replacement of equipment due to loss or damage
- Reimbursement if runs are closed due to adverse weather conditions or avalanche
- Loss or damage to school property on loan to student
- Living and/or moving expenses incurred as a result of loss or damage to residence
- Coverage for missed exams and college tuition fees as a result of illness and injury
- Coverage for emergency travel home due to injury, illness or death of immediate family member
- Theft, loss or damage to trees, shrubs, plants and lawns
- Professional design fees and expenses to restore your garden due to loss or damage
- Coverage for garden tractors and snow removal equipment due to theft, loss or damage
How much insurance do I need for my home?
I have liability coverage on my auto policy, why do I need it on my home policy too?
What impacts my home insurance premium?
- Replacement cost – the size and composition or your home as well as your contents are the factors that will impact the cost to replace your home and belongings.
- Where you live – if your neighborhood is more prone to break-ins, you may pay more for insurance. Proximity to a water source such as a fire hydrant or fire station.
- Age of roof – newer roofs (within the last 20 years) are preferred by insurers.
- Heating – there is far less risk with forced-air gas furnaces or electric heat than oil tanks. Oil tanks have the potential to cause costly environmental hazards. Improperly installed wood stoves are a source of house fires and carbon-monoxide poisoning.
- Electricity – there are several factors such as:
- whether you have breakers or fuses
- the type of wiring you have (breakers pose less risk than fuses; knob and tube wiring can increase the chance of fire)
- Pipes – older plumbing (galvanized or lead pipes) is more prone to cracking, leaking or other problems.
- Other factors – insurers will also take into account whether you have a monitored security system or fire alarm. They’ll also ask about swimming pools and other structures on your property such as a storage shed.
What happens if I have to make a claim?
How can I reduce my home insurance premium?
How can I keep my property protected from fires?
• Install smoke detectors on every floor and change batteries regularly.
• Keep a fire extinguisher on every floor.
• Don’t leave cooking unattended.
• Never pour water on a grease fire.
• Don’t plug too many appliances into one outlet.
• Frequently inspect and clean chimney flues and your furnace.
As Canadians, we’ve experienced some extreme weather conditions in the past few years. If something happens, what should my family do in case of an emergency?
Every home should have an emergency preparedness kit to help ensure you and your family are able to get through the first 72 hours of an emergency. Allstate recommends including items such as:
• Non-perishable food and water
• Flashlight and extra batteries
• A basic tool kit
• First aid kit
• Hygiene supplies
• Clothing and footwear
• Battery-powered radio
• Blankets, towels
• Prescription medications, infant formula
• Copies of essential family documents and records
You should also prepare a plan with your family and practice what you will do in the event of an emergency. The plan should cover items such as:
• Safe exits from your home or neighborhood
• Where you will meet if separated
• An emergency contact person
• A trusted, designated person to take care of children or pets if you are unavailable
Post your plan in a common location and practice it with your family to ensure it runs smoothly. Allstate provides Additional Living Expenses to assist in your alternative accommodation if required after a loss by a covered peril.
Why are insurance companies interested in how a home is heated?
My teenager is going away to college. Do I need additional insurance for their personal belongings?
What is a “shared common area” in a condo?
Does my home insurance policy cover my valuable possessions such as jewelry or artwork?
Do I really need tenant insurance if I don’t own my apartment?
Frequently asked questions
Making life's not so easy moments easier
* Rates will not be increased or surcharged if insured submits no more than one claim every six years
** Claim Forgiveness does not protect your Disappearing Deductible.
**The impact for this change varies by postal code (contact your agent to learn more).
Climate mitigation solutions available to customers in ON, AB, NS and NB only. Terms, conditions and some restrictions may apply. Coverage, perils, discounts, and availability may vary by region. This contains information about coverage offered by Allstate but does not list all of the conditions and exclusions which apply to the coverage described. The wording of the actual policy and local law will govern.
† "Superior Roofing Types” means building roof and/or siding material that is upgraded to a material that is recognized by Allstate, in its sole discretion, as being resistant to hail and wind.
†† The replacement or repair must be completed within one (1) year of the date of loss. This additional payment only applies if the loss exceeds the applicable deductible.